New Goodyear Tyres and Four Wheel Alignment

I knew my rear tyres were getting towards the limit, so I fired up camskill's website to check what the damage on two new ones was going to be.

To start with I searched for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's, after having such a good experience when fitting them to my E46 330d. Their grip was supreme in the dry and wet, and the longevity was superb, easily hitting 14k miles on the rear.

However, they'd now been superseded by the Asymmetric 3's.


Comparing the Asymmetric 2 with the 3's showed that Goodyear had made some notable improvements: fuel efficiency, moving up two categories from E to C, and road noise dropping one dB from 70 to 69, whilst maintaining an A rated wet grip. Although only 1dB improvement, don't assume that's a small amount as the decibel scale is logarithmic.


At the time, 2x 255/30 R19's were coming in around the £320 mark posted. To save the hassle of waiting in for them to be delivered, I went down to SelectaTyre and asked them if they could match camskill's price. When they first quoted £400+ I wasn't hopeful, but all credit to them, they got the price down to near enough £350 including fitting. 

Just to make sure he wasn't ordering the wrong size etc. he went out and checked my current tyres, clearly more thoroughly than I did as he came back in and said "did you know you're through to the wire on the inside edges?"

BMW E92 335i Rear Left Tyre Uneven Wear

BMW E92 335i Rear Right Tyre Uneven Wear

Ah, better book me in for four wheel alignment as well then.

To be honest, alignment was something I'd wanted to get done anyway, again after having such positive results on my E46 330d.

SelectaTyre's system is great too, it gives a full readout of before and after showing the tolerance zones of each adjustment; toe, thrust, camber and castor. As you can see in the print out below, the car was way off at the back.

SelectaTyre Four Wheel Alignment Print out

All in, the tyres, fitting and four wheel alignment came to £447.48. Rather more expensive than I'd hoped, but what a difference it has made to the car. I wasn't completely satisfied with the way the car had been turning into corners but now it was pin point accurate. The level of grip that was now available transformed the way the car moved round corners, feeling planted throughout.

I cannot recommend getting four wheel alignment carried out enough, even if you don't think there is a problem, get it checked. It's free to have it checked at SelectaTyre too, so no excuses!

Let me know what you think below, have you experienced a massive improvement after having alignment corrected? Got any horror stories of poor alignment eating your tyres?

Don't forget to subscribe using the Follow by Email widget in the top right for plenty more content to come!

1 comment:

Let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.